Pioneer Sleigh Plow
THE FAMILY OF GEORGE HISER AND CHRISTINA FILBS
of Pennsylvania and Stark County, Ohio
George Heiser/Hiser was born about 1775 in Pennsylvania. He is the possible son of immigrant, John Jacob Hiser, who arrived in the port of Philadelphia on October 5, 1767 on the ship, Sally. On August 21, 1796 in Reading, Pennsylvania, George married Christina Filbs, born May 10, 1779 in Pennsylvania. The family removed to Lawrence Township, Stark County, Ohio as early as 1816. George Hisor is part of the 1816 Stark County tax list and he is enumerated on the 1820 Stark County, Lawrence Township, Ohio census.
The Hiser farm was located in the southeastern quarter of section #3 and was 1/2 mile north of the town of Canal Fulton which grew up on the old Ohio Canal. In Book F, page 295 of old record books found in Summit County which are dated June 2, 1824 is George Heisser who was listed as a trustee for the Evangelical Lutheran and Evangelical Reformed Congregations in Stark County, Franklin Township, Ohio. He was an official when the church purchased lots 28 and 29 in the town of Manchester, Stark County, Ohio. At this time the town of Manchester, which is today located in Summit County, was in 1824 part of Stark County, Ohio. Interred in the churchyard cemetery is George Hiser and a number of his descendants.
On December 14, 1832, George and Christina deeded the northeast corner of their property to their son Jacob Hiser. George Hiser died on his farm in Lawrence Township, Stark County, Ohio from consumption at the age of sixty three. He is buried in Manchester Cemetery, Franklin Township, Summit County, Ohio just north of Canal Fulton. Christina Filbs Hiser died on August 28, 1856 in Stark County, Ohio at the age of eighty-six and is buried in St. Peterís Church Cemetery in Marlboro Township.
When George Heiserís estate was settled there was a payment of $11.25 by John Hoy, executor for the following charges:
- February 10, 1832--1 gallon whiskey at $0.37 1/2
- May 12, 1832--3 gallons whiskey at $1.12 1/2
- May 15, 1832--13 gallons whiskey at $4.87 1/2
- August 31, 1832--2 gallons whiskey at $0.75
- November 9, 1832--1 gallon whiskey at $0.37 1/2
- No date--10 gallons whiskey at sundry at $3.75
In addition $6.00 was paid of D. Eisenhour for making a coffin and $2.00 to John W. Hamm for preaching funeral sermon. The original records are among the papers of George Heiserís estate, Case 480-OS (old style) filed in the Probate Court of Stark
County, Canton, Ohio.
Children of George and Christina Filbs Hiser:
- Elizabeth Hiser born August 30, 1797 in Pennsylvania died September 18, 1863 married John Rowe. Had one known son, George Rowe born July 23, 1823 died September 24, 1897 married Susanna Unknown. Elizabeth Hiser Rowe is buried in Manchester Cemetery.
- John Hiser born 1799 in Pennsylvania died after 1870 married on December 9, 1821 in Stark County, Ohio Rachel Eisenhauer, daughter of Peter and Anna Eisenhauer, born August 7, 1787 died January 19, 1866. Their children were:
- George A. Hiser born 1827 married Mary Frankfather and had five children.
- Sarah Hiser born 1830 married John Lutry on March 30, 1851.
- Zenas Hiser born 1832 died November 1, 1878 married William Kigar on November 16, 1858.
- Thomas Hiser born August 11, 1834 died august 27, 1868 married Abigail Jones.
- John Jacob Hiser born 1838 died August 15, 1903 married first, Sarah Overmeyer and married second, Harriet Overmeyer.
- JACOB HISER born August 27, 1804 in Pennsylvania died December 18, 1878 in Sandusky County, Ohio married CATHERINE EISENHAUER.
- Henry Hiser born 18906 in Canton, Ohio died May 15, 1878 in Stark County, Ohio married on January 14, 1834 Catherine Marsh born 1807. Their children were:
- Samuel Hiser born September 9, 1836 died March 12, 1886 married Margaret Buck born 1842 died May 15, 1859.
- Caroline Hiser born 1840 married on May 13, 1860 Solomon Harbaugh.
- Andrew Hiser born 1842 died April 3, 1920 in Stark County, Ohio married on May 13, 1862 Helena Buck.
- Henry Hiser born 1846 died October 22, 1867
- Moses Hiser born 1850 died March 8, 1916 in Stark County, Ohio married on March 3, 1874 Martha Smith born 1852.
- Margaret Rebecca Hiser born May 11, 1807 in Centre County, Pennsylvania died in Peabody, Whitley County, Indiana married in 1827 Stark County Ohio Michael Stickler.
- George Hiser born February 2, 1809 died November 16, 1880 married on September 11, 1831 Rebecca Margaret Confer born 1806 died February 20, 1878. Their children were:
- Christina Hiser born June 1, 1832 died September 6, 1880 married October 9, 1851 Isaac Dickerhoff born October 10, 18214 died December 21, 1879.
- Elizabeth Hiser born 1834 died 1916 married first, Andrew Mortimer and second, Joseph Ellenberger.
- Susan Hiser born February 1, 1836 died July 1, 1907 married on December 27, 1855 Samuel Bruce born March 5, 1835 died February 25, 1898.
- Eliza Hiser born 1838 married on December 30, 1857 Daniel Shriver. Their children were: Samantha, Martha, Alice, Homer, Alen, and Emma who married Unknown Dallinger.
- Sarah Hiser born 1840 died 1924 married on January 2, 1868 Henry Baird.
- Margaret Rebecca Hiser born 1842 married Unknown Stackhouse and had Elta Stackhouse. Married second Unknown Kraut and married third, on September 18, 1865, William Stickler and had Charles.
- Katherine Hiser born March 25, 1844 married first Dan Zorger. Married second on November 10, 1864, John C. Sheplin born 1825 died 1918. Their children were: William, Emma, Charles, and Lovina.
- Jonas Hiser born February 12, 1849 died May 19, 1924 married Sarah Wearstler born March 16, 1849 died 1926.
- Catherine Hiser married Peter Stickler on March 22, 1825.
- David Hiser born March 15, 1817 died February 22, 1866 married Elizabeth Reinhart born September 15, 1817 in Germany died July 4, 1898.
Thank you to Denny Hiser, Fred Kunkel, and Jerome Reynolds Calkins who have shared their Hiser research.
Open the Hiser Treasure Chest!
Go to Alphabetized Surname List Page
Go to Home Page
Go to Internet Links Page
Go to Maps Page
Go to Photograph and Documents Page
Go to Reunions and Family Gatherings Page
Go to Surname Page
Go to Veterans List Page