Wilhelmina Kolino Farschman
from the photo files of Bill Farschman
THE FAMILY OF FREDERICH WILHELM FARSCHMAN AND
of Germany, Amelia Courthouse, Virginia, and Lorain, Ohio
Frederich (Frederick, Fred) Wilhelm Farschman, son of Gustave Julius Albert Farschmin and Eva Hass, was born November, 24, 1858 in West Prussia. Frederick did not immigrate with his parents and siblings, instead, census records list 1878 as his date of
arrival. On April 9, 1889 in Lorain, Ohio he married, Wilhelmina (Minnie) Kolino, daughter of August Kolino and Amalie Marjorie Lorch, who was born December 7, 1869 in Germany.
Frederich primarily spent his time in Lorain, Ohio, but there is strong evidence that he also owned a large amount of property in Amelia Court House, Virginia. One child, William Henry Farschman, was born there. Jack Farschman can recall stories told by his grandfather, August Julius Farschman, regarding the “plantation” in Virginia. When August was about seventeen or eighteen (1907-1908) he went to the property to sell timber off. Fred and Minnie’s son, Carl E. Farschman, in a newspaper interview said, “...When the Farschmans (Fred and Minnie) first settled in Lorain, they stayed only briefly and moved to Virginia, where they purchased 1,200 acres for 50 cents an acre. Dad turned the farm over to two of his brothers-in-law and came back to Lorain where he worked for the B&O Railroad and opened up a saloon at 15th Street and Broadway.”
From various sources it appears that Fred was first employed in the shipyards, and through the years as an ore shoveler, with the B&O Railroad as a braker and in the roundhouse, boiler maker, saloon keeper, and property owner. He was a member of the German
Beneficial Society. Minnie was a member of St. John’s Evangelical Church, the Royal Neighbors of America, and the Woodmen’s Circle Whitmore Grove.
Fred Farschman was found dead in his bed on the morning of January 13, 1922. His death certificate indicates the cause was “unknown and that there was no evidence of foul play.” Minnie died in her home in Lorain, Ohio on November 7, 1944 following an illness that had lasted six weeks. Both Frederick and Wilhelmina are buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Lorain, Ohio.
Children of Frederick Farschman and Wilhelmina Kolino:
- August Julius Farschman born August 25, 1890 in Lorain, Ohio died May 19, 1976 in Oberlin, Ohio married on March 6, 1915 in Lorain, Ohio Ethel Lillian Breckenridge born June 22, 1898 in Lorain, Ohio died March 30, 1977 in Lorain, Ohio. Their children are:
- Clarence Franklin Farschman born September 21, 1915 in Lorain, Ohio died October 18, 1944 in Chandler, Arizona married December 26, 1935 in Ripley, New York Ruth Jane Woodside born November 21, 1916 in Lorain, Ohio.
- Dewayne Milton Farschman born September 10, 1918 in Lorain, Ohio died January 7, 1984 in Henrietta, Ohio married first Henrietta G. Post born June 21, 1915 died 1994 in Phoenix, Arizona and married second Ruth Eleanor Biar born March 9, 1924 in Texas.
- Amelia Farschman born November 19, 1893 in Lorain, Ohio.
- Frederich Julius Farschman born August 29, 1894 in Lorain, Ohio died September 1, 1983 in Lorain, Ohio married on September 23, 1920 Louise Hauer. Their children are:
- Lois Marie Farschman who married Arthur Louis Gringle.
- Evelyn Louise Farschman who married George L. Gay.
- Frederich William Farschman who married Dorothy Kokas
- Caroline Farschman.
- Wilhelm Heinrich Farschman born May 21, 1897 in Amelia Courthouse, Virginia died October 13, 1970 in Lorain, Ohio married Madelon A. Anderson born October 3, 1901 in Windburn, Pennsylvania died October 13, 1985 in Lorain, Ohio. Their children are:
- George Ernest Farschman who married Mary Theresa Herlihy.
- Arline Farschman who married Don Sterling.
- William Henry Farschman who married Karen Simpson.
- Wilhelmina (Minnie) Matilda Farschman born September 9, 1899 in Lorain, Ohio died February 20, 1984 in Lorain, Ohio married James M. Guthrie. They had two children:
- Virginia M. Guthrie who married Unknown Sanders
- James M. Guthrie, Jr.
- Carl Emmanuel Farschman born January 6, 1902 in Lorain, Ohio died February 16, 1996 in Lorain, Ohio married first, Rose M. Gardner and second, Julianna Vary. Carl and Rose had three children:
- Carl Emmanuel Farschman, Jr.
- Kenneth Farschman
- Caroline Farschman
- Regina Hilde Farschman born March 3, 1904 in Lorain, Ohio married August Hauer. They had three children:
- William Hauer
- Marlene Hauer
- Unknown Hauer
- Augusta Farschman born 1908 in Lorain, Ohio married Harold Lose in Barrington, Illinois.
- Elfreda Amanda Farschman born September 9, 1909 in Lorain, Ohio married Russell Rollin Walkden and had two children:
- Richard Walkden
- Unknown Walkden
- Amanda Emma Farschman born September 22, 1912 in Lorain, Ohio died February 2, 1988 in Lorain, Ohio married about 1960 Carl Robinson. Known as Mandy, she and Carl lived in a very large house on a cliff overlooking Lake Erie.
Open the Farschman Treasure Chest!
THANK YOU to Jack Farschman for sharing his research on this branch of the family tree and for his support.
Go to Alphabetized Surname List Page
Go to Home Page
Go to Internet Links Page
Go to Maps Page
Go to Photograph and Documents Page
Go to Reunions and Family Gatherings Page
Go to Surname Page
Go to Veterans List Page