THE FAMILY OF JACOB HISER AND CATHERINE EISENHAUER
of Stark, Wood, and Sandusky County, Ohio
Jacob Hiser, son of George and Christina Filbs Hiser, was born August 27, 1804 in Pennsylvania. As a young boy, he and his family, removed to Lawrence Township, Stark County, Ohio around 1815. On October 8, 1825 he married Catherine Eisenhour/Eisenhauer, daughter of Peter Eisenhour and Anna Margaret Early of Stark and Wood County, Ohio. Jacob grew to be a farmer, like his father, and on December 14, 1832 he was deeded the NE corner of the SE 1/4 section #3, Lawrence Township, Stark County, Ohio--property that had belonged to his parents. The land transfer came several months before his father’s death.
According to Wood County, Ohio history books, brothers Jacob and John Hiser removed from Stark County to Freedom Township, Wood County about 1837. Both had married Eisenhour sisters and it appears that the Eisenhour family also settled in Wood County.
Jacob Hyser is listed as one of 60 male citizens living in Freedom Township in 1839 and he also is listed on the 1840 Freedom Township, Wood County, Ohio federal census report. Jacob Hieser held the respected position of township trustee in 1849
Jacob and Catherine remained on their farm in Freedom Township until September 22, 1855 at which time they sold the property for $500.00 and on September 24, 1855 purchased 136 acres in two tracts on the Western Reserve Maumee Road, 5 miles southeast of Woodville in section #8, Washington Township, Sandusky County, Ohio.
The Hisers lived until their deaths on their farm in Washington Township. Catherine died on February 22, 1872 at the age of sixty-four and Jacob died on December 18, 1878 at the age of seventy-four. Jacob’s will, made on September 24, 1874, instructed that all of his debts should be paid and that a sizable tombstone should be placed on his grave. Everything else was to be sold and the proceeds to be divided among his legal heirs. The will was presented for probate on December 28, 1878. Among the legal papers at the Hayes Memorial Library, Fremont, Ohio is a quit claim deed dated January 1, 1879 (14 days after Jacob’s death) signed by Emma Hizer, wife of Jacob Hizer relinquishing for $100 all claim to Jacob’s estate. Did Jacob Hiser remarry after the death of his wife Catherine? To date, no marriage document has been found.
Jacob and Catherine Eisenhauer Hiser are buried in Woodville Cemetery, located north of the town of Woodville, in Sandusky County, Ohio. A number of other Hiser family members are buried nearby.
Children of Jacob and Catherine Eisenhauer Hiser:
- John W. Hiser born 1827 in Ohio died April 10, 1899 married Rebecca Krotzer born 1835 died January 23, 1892. Both are buried in the Eisenhour Cemetery, Freedom Township, Wood County, Ohio. Their children were:
- Rebecca Hiser born 1856
- Peter Wilson Hiser born 1859
- Isaac W. Hiser born 1867 died 1944 married Cora Rackenburg born 1870 died 1951. Isaac and Cora are buried in Eisenhour Cemetery and descendants were still working his farm outside Pemberville, Ohio in 1981. Children of Isaac and Cora were: John W., Oscar, Beulah, Dale, Earl, Lewis, Clarence, and Wilma.
- HENRY HISER born August 30, 1828 in Stark County, Ohio died May 5, 1885 in Freedom Township, Wood County, Ohio married CALISTA ELIZABETH CALKINS.
- George Hiser born October 16, 1830 in Lawrence Township, Stark County, Ohio died August 22, 1873 in Sandusky County, Ohio married Matilda Barstarf born 1837 in Pennsylvania died May 23, 1856 at age nineteen. One child: Henry J Hiser died July 29,
1856. George remarried Maria Catherine Eisenhauer born February 14, 1841 in Butler County, Ohio died August 6, 1877. Their children were:
- Matilda Hiser born 1859
- Charles J. Hiser born March 10, 1861 died August 26, 1958 married Mary Anna and had Gladys T. Hiser who married T.E. Shinew; Floyd E. Hiser; Noble M. Hiser born November 3, 1898 died February 1983; and Wayne Hiser who married Lucille Bittles.
- Lydia A. Hiser born 1863.
- Sophia Hiser born 1866
- Louise Hiser born 1867
- Sarah M. Hiser born 1868
- Emmelina Hiser born 1872
- Anna Hiser born January 25, 1835 in Ohio died May 23, 1920 in Wood County, Ohio married on January 26, 1857 Benjamin H. Johnson born February 28, 1831 died December 5, 1881. Their children were:
- William Johnson born 1858 married Malenda Unknown.
- John Johnson born September 30, 1857 died September 19, 1891 married Louise Heinrich born 1860 died 1945.
- George Johnson born 1860 married Carrie Unknown.
- Benjamin Johnson born October 21, 1861 married Margaret Youngs.
- Cornelius Johnson born February 20, 1864 died September 13, 1864.
- Janette Johnson born October 24, 1865 died March 21, 1867.
- Mary A. Johnson born 1867 married Unknown Wagoner.
- Caroline Johnson born 1869.
- Minnie Johnson born June 8, 1871 died 1947 married Frank Harple.
- Ira S. Johnson born November 27, 1876 married Clara E. Unknown.
- Emery Johnson born 1878 died 1957 married on January 18, 1899 Laura Hanley.
- Christina Hiser born 1837 in Ohio married Cornelius Blue and had:
- John H. Blue born August 1861 died September 5, 1876
- Cornelius L. Blue born December 1871 died April 2, 1872.
- Jane Hiser born December 24, 1839 in Wood County, Ohio died December 24, 1913 in Sandusky County, Ohio married Aaron Beeker born 1835 died 1910. Their children
- Jacob Beeker born 1861
- Elisa Beeker born 1862
- Phissou Beeker born 1864
- John Beeker born 1866
- Sophia Beeker born 1867
- William F. Beeker born 1870
- George C. Beeker born 1872
- Adaline Beeker born 1874
- Emma Beeker born 1876
- Lewis C. Beeker born 1878
- Phoebe Hiser born August 8, 1841 in Wood County, Ohio married Henry Upp born July 26, 1857.
- Jacob Hiser born April 8, 1849 in Wood County, Ohio died April 25, 1895 married on September 11, 1862 Caroline Paul born October 17, 1842 died May 12, 1916. Their children were:
- William H. Hiser born January 16, 1864 died July 15, 1949 married Hettie Klein.
- Jacob Hiser born April 7, 1866 died January 12, 1952 married Marian Hoagland and second, Emma S. F. Shultz.
- Cornelius Hiser born January 2, 1869 died December 4, 1961 married Minerva Bunkleman.
- Louis J. Hiser born August 13, 1871 died November 29, 1942 married Edith S. Witkkop
- Edward Fred Hiser born March 7, 1874 died May 27, 1948 married Clara Jasper.
- Christian Hiser born February 27, 1876 died June 12, 1957 married Katherine C. Hoppe.
- Elizabeth Catherine Hiser born August 11, 1878 died June 8, 1939 married Benjamin Nieman.
- Minerva C. Hiser born May 20, 1881 died After 1949 married John Koehn.
- Nellie Anna Hiser born February 8, 1884 died August 19, 1949 married F. Frank Kunkel and had Fred Kunkel born July 12, 1918 died September 3, 1991 in California married Ora L. Pottenger born 1920.
- William Hiser born November 28, 1848 in Wood County, Ohio died 1919 married Mary “Mollie” Duke and had Pearl Hiser.
- Samuel F. Hiser born October 6, 1850 in Wood County, Ohio died October 12, 1926 in Crawford County, Ohio married on May 26, 1872 Lucy Ann Reed born April 17, 1853 died February 21, 1916 in Sandusky County, Ohio. Their children were:
- Unknown Hiser
- Unknown Hiser
- John F. Hiser born 1879
- Fred Hiser
- Harry Hiser
- Boyd Hiser
- Maude Hiser
- Gladys Hiser
- Jennie Hiser
- Hattie Hiser
- Charley Hiser
- Floyd Hiser
Thank you to Denny Hiser and Fred Kunkel who have shared their Hiser research.
Open the Hiser Treasure Chest!
Go to Alphabetized Surname List Page
Go to Home Page
Go to Internet Links Page
Go to Maps Page
Go to Photograph and Documents Page
Go to Reunions and Family Gatherings Page
Go to Surname Page
Go to Veterans List Page