THE FAMILY OF JAMES JOHN ORR AND NANCY FLORENCE
of Columbiana County, Ohio
James John Orr, the oldest son of Joseph and Jane Orr, was born August 25, 1812 in Pennsylvania. On June 27, 1839 in Columbiana County, Ohio he married Nancy Florence Frederick, daughter of Noah and Hannah Frederick, born January 10, 1820 in Madison Township, Columbiana County, Ohio. As a young man, James worked as a tailor, but later turned to farming. He farmed his fatherís property in Elkrun Township until it was sold. James and Nancy lost two of their sonís in the Civil War, Benjamin and Joseph both died from illness suffered during the war. James died on September 21, 1885 in Liverpool Township, Columbiana County, Ohio and Nancy on March 14, 1902.
The children of James John Orr and Nancy Florence Frederick:
- Benjamin Franklin Orr born September 20, 1840 in Columbiana County, Ohio died August 15, 1863 in a train in route from Illinois to Cincinnati,Ohio buried in the Carlisle Cemetery, Elkrun Township, Columbiana County, Ohio. Served during the Civil War with the 76th OVI.
- Joseph Frederick Orr born February 16, 1842 in Columbiana County, Ohio died September 15, 1863 after returning from his service in the Civil War buried in the Carlisle Cemetery, Elkrun Township, Columbiana County, Ohio. Served with the 76th OVI.
- Noah Butler Orr born May 13, 1844 in Columbiana County, Ohio died February 13, 1849.
- Hannah Jane Orr born October 10, 1846 in Columbiana County, Ohio died February 11, 1849.
- Louis Cass Orr born December 8, 1848 in Columbiana County, Ohio died July 17, 1900 married Margaret J. Quinn on January 21, 1875.
- Martha Bell Orr born April 21, 1851 died after 1927 married Abram G. Glenn on November 8, 1877. The Glenns had three children, however I only know the name of one, Frederick Glenn.
- Thomas Jefferson Orr born January 6, 1854 in Columbiana County, Ohio died After 1927.
- James Butler Orr born March 30, 1856 in Madison Township, Columbiana County, Ohio died May 6, 1927 in Wellsville, Columbiana County, Ohio married Anna Liza Custer born September 16, 1858 in West Point, Columbiana County, Ohio died December 28,
1908 in Madison Township, Columbiana County, Ohio married October 14 1880. Children of James Butler Orr and Anna Liza Custer: Celia Florence Orr born September 5, 1885, West Point, Columbiana County, Ohio died 1974 East Liverpool, Ohio married William Leslie Conn born August 31, 1883 in Gavers, Ohio died September 21, 1971 in East Liverpool, Ohio married September 14, 1904 and had Mabel Anna Conn; Harry Orr; Ralph Orr; Helen Orr married Nellis Carnahan; and Clement Orr. Following the death of his first wife, James Butler Orr married Tabitha McIntyre.
- Nancy Florence Orr born July 20, 1858 in Columbiana County, Ohio died about 1936 married James Carlisle on January 17, 1905.
- William Henry Orr born November 28, 1860 in Columbiana County, Ohio married Emily Robinson.
- Clement Laird Orr born June 7, 1863 in Columbiana County, Ohio died after 1927 married Lottie Lee Leslie on June 20, 1900, Viola Palmer on January 2, 1908, and Clara Koch on October 17, 1917.
- Willard E. Orr born November 28, 1876 in Columbiana County, Ohio.
Open the Orr Treasure Chest!
Thank you to B. Diane Hunter who supplied me with much of the information on the family of James John Orr.
Go to Alphabetized Surname List Page
Go to Home Page
Go to Internet Links Page
Go to Maps Page
Go to Photograph and Documents Page
Go to Reunions and Family Gatherings Page
Go to Surname Page
Go to Veterans List Page